Friday, September 02, 2005


I won't be around much this weekend, although you never know. I don't want my weird Landmark weekend to be Top O' the Blog, so I am posting this marvelous picture of John Garfield. He was a fine actor and had a social conscience as well. He reminds me of good things about my country. His fate reminds me of the bad.

I was going to post a picture of Louis Armstrong, my favorite musician of all time, but it made me too damn sad, frankly. Like everybody else, I have been donating to the relief effort and trying not to put my foot through my television set in a fit of rage. Here is a fervent hope that the relief efforts improve in Mr. Armstrong's suffering city. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

George Forgan-Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kyahgirl said...

He looks so much like Liam Neeson to me (except for the hair).
:-)

Exiled in NJ said...

My mother-in-law, who passed away at 87 this year, thought Garfield the handsomest man she'd ever seen.

Campaspe said...

Exiled & Kyah: He was a sex god, no doubt. I'm working on a post about "They Made Me a Criminal." Legend has it he bedded BOTH leading ladies, and made a lifelong habit of that afterward.

surlyh said...

Gee, and I just like him as an actor. All you have to do is add a comma: "They Made Me, A Criminal".

My favorite Garfield films are Force Of Evil and He Ran All The Way. Now you'll probably tell me he slept with that goody-two-shoes Shelley Winters!