The Siren has been tagged by the fabulous Annieytown of the New York Times-touted Blogdorf Goodman. She must now post 20 random facts about herself. All right, here goes:
1. The Siren's first stage disappointment was when, as a fourth-grader, she tried out for a German-language version of The Pied Piper of Hamelin. She wanted to play the Piper. She was cast as a rat.
2. Her first line ever spoken on stage: "Ja, der rattenfanger."
3. Her first cat was named "Little Red Riding Hood Magnolia Blossom," showing a flair for ridiculous names at a young age.
4. Hearing that, it will not surprise you to hear that the Siren's real name is not Campaspe.
5. The Siren doesn't drive, another reason to feel a deep kinship with Annie.
6. She was married in southern Lebanon.
7. Her husband is a French citizen, but her French is absolutely atrocious.
8. The Siren almost had her handbag pickpocketed because she was trying to get a good look at Catherine Deneuve, who had walked into the store and was back at the dressing rooms trying on vintage blouses.
9. One of my favorite fantasies involves telling Catherine Deneuve about this incident, and her being so charmed that we wind up fast friends.
10. The Siren is literally, physically allergic to cold. She breaks out in hives if her skin is exposed to low temperatures for too long.
11. The Siren has two cats despite being allergic to both of them.
12. The Siren loves snakes, and at age 10 had her picture in the local paper with a boa constrictor wrapped around her neck.
13. The Siren is distantly related to Clyde Barrow.
14. The Siren can't whistle.
15. At age 4, the Siren refused to answer anyone unless addressed as "Cinderella."
16. At age 5, the Siren became fed up with a particularly perfect girl at kindergarten. The child was always clean, never shouted out answers, always colored inside the lines. The Siren decided to write this girl's name down in the teacher's bad conduct book, and was deeply chagrined when the forgery was discovered, possibly because the Siren had printed in crayon with block capitals.
17. The Siren has never read The DaVinci Code or The Lovely Bones.
18. She has never seen a single episode of Sex and the City.
19. She worked for three professors who had been involved with the Manhattan Project.
20. The Siren is still homesick for New York.
Now for my revenge. I am tagging Katiedid at Seldom Nice Nowadays, dear D. at An Alabaster Brow, Koneko at Koneko's Mostly Beauty Diary, Mireille at C'est Chic, and Liz at This Bananafish Smells Like Leaves.