Friday, January 27, 2006

Post about her birthday, then drop out of sight ... such was not the Siren's intention. She actually had a very nice birthday, involving a lavish dinner and a present of tickets to a Wagner opera for this week. I hope that fellow redhead Moira Shearer, another Jan. 17 baby, had as lovely a time. Part Two of my Luise Rainer disquisition is almost done but has turned out to be a lot more work than I had anticipated. I hope to have it posted this weekend. Meanwhile, this beautiful still prompts me to wonder about all the many ballerinas who claim The Red Shoes sparked their desire to dance. Considering the movie's tragic ending, isn't that just a wee bit odd?


Peter Nellhaus said...

Hi Campaspe: Hope you got everything you wanted for your birthday!

Bill said...

Ah ... The Red Shoes ... thanks for the reminder. I haven't watched that in quite a while and it's sitting on my shelf waiting for another spin in the DVD player.

And on the subject of January 17 babies ... I too enter the worldly realm on that day in, of all places, Hamilton.

Lance Mannion said...

Did I wish you a Happy Birthday? If I didn't, shame on me.

Happy Birthday!

Filmbrain said...

Happy belated birthday! Glad to see you back.

In my overactive imagination, you went on a ten-day bender for your birthday, which ended with you waking up yesterday morning in Père-Lachaise next to Simone Signoret's grave with a half a pack of Gauloises in your hand and an empty Absinthe bottle at your feet.

Oh wait...that was my birthday.

Campaspe said...

Thank you very much, gentlemen. Filmbrain: Have you ever tried to go on a bender in Toronto? I don't think it can be done.