Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Newcritics Wednesday Night at the Movies: Desperately Seeking Susan


Our New York City of the Mind series continues at Newcritics, with the romance of Desperately Seeking Susan. Come over tonight at 9 pm Eastern time and wallow in the 80s, those halcyon days when Danceteria was still open, the East Village was affordable and raffish, and Madonna showed promise as an actress. Feel free to debate those last two points, and indeed whether this movie should be included at all. Bustiers encouraged but not required.

6 comments:

Flickhead said...

It's one of my guilt-free pleasures, despite Aidan Quinn's trendy little hat. I've always ID'd with the quiet desperation within Rosanna's character. But don't tell anyone.

Campaspe said...

Flickhead, you must come by, as I may need reinforcements! I see a lot of older romantic comedies in it as well.

And Aidan, despite that hat, was hot hot hot in 1985.

Flickhead said...

I may come by...or I may be out on the dance floor near that bald neanderthal who's creeping out Mark Blum.

Hell, woman, you've got me into the groove! I may go pop that sucker into the DVD player RIGHT NOW!!

PS: If anyone's got the instrumental soundtrack on mp3, please drop me a line!

DavidEhrenstein said...

Je me prefere Celine et Julie vont en bateau / Phantom Ladies Over Paris

Vanwall said...

I'm afraid it's becoming the "Annie Hall" of its generation - a clever curiosity, good for sociological research in the murky past.

Lemora said...

This is probably w-a-a-a-y too late, but I had to post. I, too, love DSS. I am about 10 years older than Madonna and, I guess, The Siren, but I was still young enough --early thirties-- to relate to the vibe. And I wore a bustier as outerware and looked good in it. My former friend, Susanne, dragged me to our local 1940's mothball repertory cinema --now boarded up-- to see it. My heart was broken (now, I seriously doubt it was more than sprained) and she thought I needed cheering up. I did. The movie did it for me. I still love it.